Nachos Libra, Vancouver Eastside Nachos
Vancouver is a seaport & a world class city on the west coast of Canada. It’s the most densely populated city in Canada. This means lots & lots of Nachos! Vancouver Eastside Nachos is considered to be the area of the city between Boundary Road & Ontario Street.
- Chicken was added on for extra cost. Server forgot the chicken & brought it ten minutes after the Nachos Landing. Nachos Libra ate half the order by then, so that the First Pass appears to be the mother-lode of chicken. Don’t be fooled. It wasn’t. Salad Horse, Nachos Libra’s very practical wife, unceremoniously dumped the chicken bits on the nachos. The chicken portion was quite small. Cheese was satisfactory.
- Generous on the vegetables. St. Augustine’s added diced, sweet purple onions, and chopped, green onions, both of which are not mentioned on the regular menu item list. Sweet! As well, Nachos Libra loved the unmashed, black beans & yellow corn niblets. Beans & corn add to the mouth-feel & the nachos’ visual appeal.
- Salsa sauce is excitingly excessive & uses only fresh, diced tomatoes! However, Nachos Libra did ask to trade the plain, sour cream & Jalapenos for some extra salsa. But still, thank you for the lagniappe! Guacamole was definitely squirted out of a bottle and there is not enough for dipping.
- Search-for-non-cliche-&-unusual-words-to-describe St. Augustine’s nachos’ presentation. Nachos Libra wants a much larger vocabulary to cope with the off-the-scale Wow! factor. These nachos are the best. Overall large portions. The assault of edible colours! A half point was taken off for the chicken little & the server bringing out a take away container rather than wrap it herself. The chips became soggy from the salsa; Nachos Libra is to blame for requesting extra salsa.
- Will be back for more!
- This full-order nachos was eaten on 20 July 2015.
- Ordered full size with ground beef. Medium amount of beef. Cheese throughout & on mid-deck.
- Fresh diced tomatoes & green onions with black olives comprised the vegetables.
- Sauces are served on the side. Yaay! Passed on the sour cream to get a double whammy of salsa. The fresh, made in-house salsa was mild – and not overly cilantro’d – the portion lasted until a few chips remained.
- There were zero broken chips, although there was one soggy chip. These full sized, but not-super-filling-for-its-size nachos were a stunning value at $14 plus $2.50 for beef.
- These nachos were eaten 08 May 2016. Nachos Libra will be back for more of Cedar Cottage’s nachos! 🙂
- Full size ordered. Very striking appearance with heavily layered cheese on the top stratum. Some of that cheese made it to the mid-deck. Chicken was diced & dispensed on top.
- A good amount of vegetables – fresh, diced tomatoes, sliced green onions & black olives – were dispersed about the nachos. Jalapeñoes were witheld.
- Sauces include sour cream, but that was swapped for extra salsa. The fresh, made-in-house salsa was spicey, tasty & almost lasted until the end.
- These nachos present as smothered in cheese. Every chip was glued to its sibling! The chips were crispy too! 🙂
- The full size order was really a 2/3 sized nachos at $19 ($15 plus $4 chicken).
- These nachos were eaten 11 July 2016.
- “Tomato Pulled Chicken” was an extra $4 for about 2.5 oz of tastiness. To characterize the proteins, sparse. There was not enough cheese to cover most chips either.
- A light sprinkling of vegetables let Nachos Libra down even further. Nachos Libra does love how the green onions, beans & corn added to a nachos’ visual appeal. A request to serve the banana peppers, but hold the Jalapenos resulted in neither being served.
- The yellow-green & tikka coloured salsas were made in-house & there was enough to last almost to the last third of the nachos! Nachos Libra made a request to swap the sour cream for a double salsa portion. Guacamole was extra, so it was not ordered. Sauces are always served on the side.
- Of note is the unusual crispiness of the Colony nachos chips. The chips seemed to be made with rice flour added for that extra light, crunchiness without the oiliness! These nachos had good height that could’ve rated excellent presentation if there were more chips & cheese. The half-sized nachos are priced a few dollars away from the full-sized nachos & they’re not good value.
- This half-sized, but “full-size priced” nachos was eaten 13 September 2015.
Please bookmark & check back. I’m eating as fast as I can!
I’m a Libra who loves nachos. I wasn’t always so obsessed. Nachos were plentiful & on most every menu. Just another pub grub option ordered so all could share.
Then I moved to Dublin, Republic of Ireland. The Irish don’t eat when they drink. “Eatin’s cheatin!” my Irish friends would intersperse amongst the witty, tavern conversation.
Well, I have to eat! I’m Chinese! So, I thought that if I ordered a platter to share, would it be more acceptable?
And then, nothing! No matter the menu, nachos were not on it. I began to compulsively search for pubs with nachos even when I wasn’t hungry. Slowly, incrementally, I displayed severe withdrawal symptoms. I began day-dreaming of those “corn-based” nachos back in Vancouver, Canada.
Finally, I’m back. I’ve been back for a while. And, at least once a week, I have a hankering for nachos that needs satisfying. Now I manage my obsession by tasting & sharing with you, my dear fellow tavern mates!
© 2015 Nachos Libra. All rights reserved; no part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying or otherwise, without prior permission.