Nachos Libra, Tri-Cities Nachos
Tri-Cities encompasses Anmore, Belcarra, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, and let’s throw in Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge too. The development of independent, microbreweries in this area has captured Nachos Libra’s attention.
- Nachos Libra ordered the “personal” size despite the inner voice saying, “Go BIG!” with chicken. There was 3 oz of real, grilled chicken breast. There was a fair amount of cheese strewn throughout, including the middle deck of the nachos.
- Vegetables were generous for the small order. Black olives & long, sliced green onions complemented the extra fresh, diced tomatoes (no extra charge by declining Jalapeños) 🙂
- Sauces are served on the side without having to ask 🙂 Guacamole was extra & not ordered. Sour cream was substituted for extra salsa. The excellent, made-in-house salsa with diced Jalapeños was tangy & carried a mild, heat … a perfect blend of fresh, chunky ingredients! 🙂 There was left over salsa due to the small order of chips.
- The presentation is different, being served in a skillet, & colourful. The $16 ($12 plus $4 for chicken) Brew Street personal nachos are small, but well portioned on everything.
- Nachos Libra says, “Choose wisely & order the full size nachos ($20 vs. the $12 personal nachos)” for volume pricing discount. Along with the nearby craft microbreweries, this strip along St. John’s Street has some of the best salsas being served!
- These nachos were eaten 27 Jan 2017. Nachos Libra will return to try Brew Street Craft + Kitchen! 🙂
- El Grande, fully loaded (includes beef, refried beans & extra cheese) nachos were ordered. There was a moderate amount of beef & cheese; every fourth chip had its own piece of beef or cheese. Some meat, cheese & veg were in the middle layer of chips, however, mostly on top.
- Vegetables, again, the theme of moderation persisted; diced tomatoes, black olives & green onions.
- Sauces. The salsa is made in-house, is served in nacho chip bowls & outlasted the nachos 🙂 The bean dip was mild with no whole beans. Guacamole was extra & not ordered. Sour cream was declined to double the portion of salsa.
- Chips were crispy & not greasy, mostly from the “easy-on-the-cheese” portion. Gillnetter’s El Grande nachos are good value, especially with the beef & bean dip at no extra charge. It is also a full-sized platter & is for sharing with People. 🙂
- Cost $18.95.
- These nachos were eaten 10 Sept 2016. Nachos Libra will return 🙂
- Nachos Libra wanted to call these “fat-free” nachos because the chips are extra crispy, dry & appear baked. 🙂 There was no grease on the bottom of the platter!
- Full sized nachos ordered with spicey beef. Both the tasty beef & cheese were strewn throughout the layers of nachos. It seemed as if every chip had been targeted for grated cheese! 🙂
- Vegetables were generous. There were fresh, diced tomatoes & banana peppers, red & yellow bell peppers, sliced green onions & mild Jalapeños.
- The fresh, made-in-house salsa had to be the best that Nachos Libra has encountered in a year! The salsa is chunky with diced up bits of sweet, purple onion. The flavouful, but still mild salsa lasted until well after all of the chips were eaten. Nachos Libra ate the last of the salsa with a fork.
- The presentation is spot on. The platter, heaped with cheese, chips, veg & meat starts the salivation process. These $22 nachos represent value. Nachos Libra would’ve preferred some more chips to finish off the salsa though.
- These nachos were eaten 20 June 2016. Nachos Libra will return to the Burrard Public House! 🙂
I’m a Libra who loves nachos. I wasn’t always so obsessed. Nachos were plentiful & on most every menu. Just another pub grub option ordered so all could share.
Then I moved to Dublin, Republic of Ireland. The Irish don’t eat when they drink. “Eatin’s cheatin!” my Irish friends would intersperse amongst the witty, tavern conversation.
Well, I have to eat! I’m Chinese! So, I thought that if I ordered a platter to share, would it be more acceptable?
And then, nothing! No matter the menu, nachos were not on it. I began to compulsively search for pubs with nachos even when I wasn’t hungry. Slowly, incrementally, I displayed severe withdrawal symptoms. I began day-dreaming of those “corn-based” nachos back in Vancouver, Canada.
Finally, I’m back. I’ve been back for a while. And, at least once a week, I have a hankering for nachos that needs satisfying. Now I manage my obsession by tasting & sharing with you, my dear fellow tavern mates!
© 2015 Nachos Libra. All rights reserved; no part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying or otherwise, without prior permission.