Nachos Libra, Lower Lonsdale Nachos
Lower Lonsdale is a densely populated area at the South end of Lonsdale Avenue in the waterfront city of North Vancouver. Residents of the numerous condominiums have a variety of cafés, pubs & restaurants to choose & parks to unwind in prior to meeting friends for a craft beer at Lonsdale Quay. Most Lower Lonsdale nachos have tortilla shells as a base layer – an unusual phenomenon. 🙂
- Full size nachos ordered with bacon, thin-sliced turkey & sausage (latter two off menu). Tasty bacon & sausage, if one misses a late breakfast, & with real, sliced turkey breast (it’s the holidays, is it not?), was wonderfully mixed in with the crispy chips. Cheese was everywhere important, even on the bottom, tortilla shell base layer 🙂
- A very good amount of vegetables – fresh, chunky diced tomatoes, sliced green onions & black olives – were spread on top & around the nachos. Jalapeñoes were replaced with extra tomatoe.
- Sauces. Sour cream was declined & extra salsa not swapped as there is always so much salsa. Fresh, chopped cilantro & green onion stalks intensified the otherwise, mild salsa. The generous ramkin of salsa ran out before the last chip.
- Presentation has the “Wow” factor. Again, the countenances of guests at other tables said, unreservedly, “Bet Nachos Libra can’t eat the whole thing.” 🙂
- Rusty Gull adds one of the best developments in nachos recipes. Nachos Libra loves nachos constructed on top of a tortilla shell bottom. Everything can be rolled up to create a flourless-pizza-hot-dog. 🙂 See why Nachos Libra loves this simple solution? Tortilla shell liners are included with nachos at the Coppertank Grill in Vancouver West Side, Fountainhead Pub Downtown Vancouver, Black Bear Pub in North Vancouver, Raglan’s & Sailor Hagar’s.
- This time around, Rusty Gull’s nachos were about ten chips smaller than on previous visits. The cost was $19.95 ($14.95 plus $5.00 for all that protein) & represented Great Value on 18 Dec 2016! 🙂
- Nachos Libra visited again on 02 April 2017 & ordered the beef & bacon for $22 ($14.95 + $3.50 beef + $3.50 bacon). Of note, the nachos were significantly smaller than the previous visit. Perchance this was a peculiarity; Nachos Libra will return to investigate. No, review, ehm, eat.
- Chicken was extra & the portion is 3 oz. Almost every chip was covered in cheese & cheese was layered throughout the nachos!
- Fresh vegetables included diced tomatoes, green & red bell peppers & red onions. Nachos Libra loved the fresh Jalepenos; suits his delicate constitution.
- Sauces were made in house & served on the side. Wahoo! The salsa was fresh, not tangy with a bite from the onions. The fresh guacamole was tasty with a rich texture, but was added at no charge as the sour cream was declined. Wow! 🙂 This is the only place Nachos Libra has seen this done; common practice is to charge for guacamole. Nachos Libra ran out of chips before running out of sauces!
- These $12 nachos are a fantastic value. Cheshire Cheese nachos are two thirds of a full size platter. Nachos Libra has eaten smaller “full size” nachos (vegetarian, without additional protein) going for $18 with scant cheese portions & even less fresh / preserved ingredients at other establishments. Cheshire Cheese’s awesome nachos is a Lower Lonsdale gem at Lonsdale Quay!
- These 2/3’s full nachos were eaten 10 Oct 2015. Nachos Libra went back for seconds on 24 Oct 2015 (cost went up to $12.50) & the five chip rating is the same for both visits.
- Ordered nachos without protein.
- Lots of cheese throughout! Every single chip had cheese on it. 🙂
- Then, why was there such a poor quantity of fresh vegetables? There were a dozen black beans & a few diced tomatoes. The kitchen was a little more generous with the black olives & the fresh, sliced Jalapeños. Otherwise, Nachos Libra observed a lack of vegetables.
- Sauces. Guacamole was extra & not ordered. The sour cream was substituted for extra salsa. Salsa was really good, made in house, fresh & tasty! The salsa portions lasted until a dozen chips were left. There was a tasty, dill infused sauce shot from a bottle & onto the nachos for presentation. Nachos Libra wondered why the kitchen sprinkled Kosher salt onto an already tasty nachos.
- The Sailor Hagar’s nachos presentation is colourful & the mound of chips shaped like a softball. The over-sized, wicker serving dish made this small serving of nachos appear even more tiny. The nachos portion really was the size of a softball too. 🙁 These nachos are not good value.
- A grilled tortilla wrap for a base: who grills their bases? Sailor Hagar’s! Cool, but due to its small size, there was nothing left to wrap up. Nachos Libra luvs bases for wrapping up leftover pieces of nachos at The Tank on Vancouver’s Westside, Raglan’s Bistro & Rusty Gull above, Fountainhead Pub in Downtown Vancouver & Black Bear Pub in North Vancouver
- These $15, full-sized priced, but half-sized nachos were eaten on 08 Nov 2015.
Please bookmark & check back. I’m eating as fast as I can!
I’m a Libra who loves nachos. I wasn’t always so obsessed. Nachos were plentiful & on most every menu. Just another pub grub option ordered so all could share.
Then I moved to Dublin, Republic of Ireland. The Irish don’t eat when they drink. “Eatin’s cheatin!” my Irish friends would intersperse amongst the witty, tavern conversation.
Well, I have to eat! I’m Chinese! So, I thought that if I ordered a platter to share, would it be more acceptable?
And then, nothing! No matter the menu, nachos were not on it. I began to compulsively search for pubs with nachos even when I wasn’t hungry. Slowly, incrementally, I displayed severe withdrawal symptoms. I began day-dreaming of those “corn-based” nachos back in Vancouver, Canada.
Finally, I’m back. I’ve been back for a while. And, at least once a week, I have a hankering for nachos that needs satisfying. Now I manage my obsession by tasting & sharing with you, my dear fellow tavern mates!
Older Nachos Reviews Below
- Full size nachos ordered with bacon & corned beef (off menu). Tasty bacon, along with corned beef, was strewn about the crispy chips. Cheese was everywhere important, even on the bottom, which led one reader to ask if this was a decadent, pizza with nachos construction on top!
- A very good amount of vegetables – fresh, chunky diced tomatoes, sliced green onions & black olives – were spread on top & around the nachos. Jalapeñoes were witheld due to Nachos Libra’s delicate digestive system.
- Sour cream was swapped for extra salsa. Fresh, chopped cilantro & green onion stalks complemented the salsa, intensifying the mild, tasty dipping sauce. The generous portion of two ramkins of salsa lasted until the end.
- Presentation is colourful & appetizing (although the pictures above were taken with low lighting). Guests at other tables non-chalantly checked out these nachos. One’s inner voice says, “Oh yeah! This is going to do the job!” 🙂
- Nachos Libra loves nachos nesting on a tortilla shell bottom. Rusty Gull adds this extraordinary perq to all of their nachos! Remaining chips, veg, cheese, salsa & meat were quickly rolled up into high-calorie burrito to be carried out into the night. 🙂 See why Nachos Libra loves this simple solution? Tortilla shell liners are included with nachos at the Coppertank Grill in Vancouver West Side, Fountainhead Pub Downtown Vancouver, Black Bear Pub in North Vancouver, Raglan’s & Sailor Hagar’s.
- Rusty Gull’s nachos are “full size” nachos. The cost was $18.50 ($14.95 plus $3.50 for meat) & represents Great Value! 🙂 Nachos Libra will return.
- This full-order nachos was eaten on 11 July 2016.
- The 7 oz. (most places are only 3 to 4 oz. of meat) of beef cost extra. But it was seasoned with taco spices & the savoury, tasty beef was spread all over & within the layers of chips. Tasty, melted cheeses were layered throughout. Surprisingly, the nachos held its height despite the galore of meat & cheese!
- Vegetables aplenty! Scores of tomatoes bearing such descriptions as “fresh“, “thick cut” & “cubed” almost displaced the sliced, black olives & fresh diced green onions. The colours were a crown to the nachos presentation.
- When it comes to sauces, Nachos Libra customarily skips sour cream & requests double salsa. The salsa had a tart sourness & appeared to be poured from a plastic jug. Guacamole was an extra cost, but Nachos Libra was in a “just got paid mood” & asked the server if the avocado dip was made in-house. When the server replied that the guacamole was not made in-house, Nachos Libra declined the green-cream. Bonus points for sauces that arrived on the side without having to ask because Nachos Libra believes that sauces lumped onto nachos equals messy fingers that swipe onto fellow diners’ smartphone screens, rubs off on the front of someone else’s jeans & ends up in your partner’s hair. If those actions doesn’t get one kicked out of a pub, then even worse, it creates soggy chips.
- The considerable number of chips remained crispy throughout the meal. The height is worth mentioning again; despite the extra weight from the meat & cheeses, it never resorted to a “flat” profile.
- Nachos Libra loves the rare feature of a tortilla shell bottom! For with a flourish of the hand, the leftovers are quickly rolled up. The ability to quickly make left overs vanish is possible with such a simple solution. Tortilla shell liners are available at the Coppertank Grill in Vancouver West Side, Fountainhead Pub Downtown Vancouver, Black Bear Pub in North Vancouver, Raglan’s & Sailor Hagar’s.
- Rusty Gull’s nachos would have rated five chips if salsa was made in-house.
- This full-order nachos was eaten on 19 Sept 2015 & rated four chips.
- Nachos Libra returned 30 March 2016 for the “half nachos”. The Rusty Gull’s half nachos was $10.95 before adding proteins & were larger than several “full size” nachos that cost $17/$18! Wahoo! These nachos thus earned a five chip rating. 🙂
© 2015 Nachos Libra. All rights reserved; no part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying or otherwise, without prior permission.