Nachos Libra, North Vancouver Nachos
North Vancouver Nachos sits on the North Shore of the Burrard Inlet across from Downtown Vancouver & North Burnaby. It does not include Lower Lonsdale Nachos. Bike over the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge or hop on a SeaBus & check out all the great Nachos you can get across the water!
- Pulled pork & Bacon. Not only was the bacon chopped up & sprinkled everywhere, but there were also an additional, two full-length slices of bacon woven into the nachos’ belly! 😀 Lots of cheese on top & middle layer; only a rare chip would have no cheese! Savoury!
- Fresh diced tomatoes & purple onions, sliced green onions & black olives & banana peppers. Vegetable portions are generous! 😀
- Sauces. Guacamole was extra & thus declined. Extra salsa replaced the waived sour cream; the double portion was more than enough. 🙂 However, the salsa is not made fresh, in-house.
- Tri-colored chips, volume of chips, a variety of colours from meat & veg brought out the nachos’ superb visual appeal.
- Jack Lonsdales has a $9 share plate special on Sundays, which includes the full sized nachos. Extreme value at $16 ($9 + $3.50 pork + $3.50 bacon), cheese on almost every chip, enough veg to keep the dieticians happy, two bowls of salsa & the “Wow” amount of protein! 😀
- Nachos Libra needs a good spanking as this was the third visit in the same number of weeks. Nachos Libra must go out & explore or Nachos Libra will produce in-bred reviews. On a Sunday, Jack Lonsdale’s nachos are the best deal around.
- These nachos were eaten 23 April 2016. Followed up on a holiday Monday & Jack Lonsdale’s nachos maintained a five chip rating on 07 August 2017! 😀
- Pulled pork served dry-style to keep those chips crispy! The portion size slapped a giddy smile across Nachos Libra’s face that said, “Holy shite! This is a lot of meat for the cost!” 🙂 Double-Yaay!!!
- Cheese & meat were strewn throughout the nachos, even in the between layers!
- Fresh, diced tomatoes, sliced green onions & black olives were evenly distributed everywhere. Having forgotten the phrase “Hold the jalapeños, please.”, a medium sized, but neat pile was banished on one side of the platter lest they burn several holes in Nachos Libra’s delicate internals. The vegetable portions generous.
- Copious sauces were fresh made in house. The salsa lasted until the last chip because sour cream was substituted for extra salsa. Nachos Libra is in love with made-in-house salsa. The refried beans were tastey & outlasted the nachos; there was plenty of refried beans for another order of nachos. Gaucamole was extra & not ordered.
- These nachos’ portion sizes, excellent meat & house made sauces make for very good value. There were some broken chips in the nachos, yes, it happens, but not enough to detract from the overall appeal. However, the nachos’ visual presentation immediately warmed Nachos Libra’s body on that cold, rainy & windy night. And it is for those reasons that Nachos Libra loves Toby’s North Shore‘s nachos & will be back. These nachos were eaten 25 Nov 2015. Nachos Libra returned 02 January 2016 (ordered the beef & guacamole), 13 June 2016 (ordered salmon), 11 November 2016 (pulled pork), 28 December 2016 (pulled pork portion was immense! :0 ) & the five chip rating still remains. 🙂
- Motherlode of meat! Braised beef was ordered & was not smothered in any sauce. Nachos Libra believes over-powering sauces are often used to cover up bad tasting or boiled meat. Cheese was layered throughout. Lots of cheese plus random clumps of cheese. Every chip had yummy, melted cheese on it!
- Vegetables comprised fresh “chunked” tomatoes with fresh, diced purple onions & sliced green onions. Yellow corn niblets & black beans added to the nachos’ presentation. Turned out there were more toppings than chips & there were plenty of chips. Nachos Libra used a fork to scoop up & eat the excess toppings. Hey, Salad Horse, it was like having a vitamin & mineral loaded salad. 🙂
- Guacamole was extra & not ordered. Sour cream was exchanged for an extra serving of the salsa. Salsa was a “dry” style. Tomatoes contain mostly water &, when sliced open, inevitably metabolizes salsas into a watery sauce. Two Lions’ kitchen must’ve drained their made-in-house sauce through a sieve moments before service. Wow! Who takes that extra care any more? Sauces were served on the side without having to ask!
- Nachos Libra found several broken & soggy chips, but not enough to spur demerits. Two Lions has an Irish nachos option that uses potatoe chips (crisps) instead of the corn based variety. Better check with the Dr. if the lipid levels are manageable before tackling Irish nachos.
- Two Lions’s nachos are very good value, which easily upgrades to first class, excellent value with the 15% menu discount … if one becomes a “VIP Member”. All one needs is a smartphone using Two Lions’ WiFi & Vicki, with her astonishing service, who set up Nachos Libra’s VIP membership.
- Nachos were eaten 03 Nov 2015. Nachos Libra returned for more on 22 Dec 2015 & 28 Feb 2016. The five chip rating remains consistent for all three visits. Yaay! 🙂
- The one size only nachos were ordered with wild salmon (off menu). Plenty of cheese was layered on top & in the middle layers, although, there were a few chips on the nachos’ perimeter that had no cheese. Two, big clumps of molten cheese, worth fighting for, were dead centre of the nachos.
- Medium amount of vegetables, but there were a lot of fresh sliced green onions & not a lot of fresh, diced tomatoes. There were no olives.
- Sauces are served on the side without having to ask! Sour cream was declined in favour of double salsa servings. The salsa was partially made-in-house; yellow corn niblets, black beans & diced Jalapeños were added to commercial salsa. The salsa lasted until the very last chip!
- The chips were crispy & dry; there was zero greasiness! However, there were a few broken chips, but they were large enough to scoop up salsa.
- Seymour Pub’s nachos were FULL sized! The presentation is colourful, appetizing & the height tells guests that they’re in for a long session of eating! It has been months since a nacho platter challenged Nachos Libra to eat every chip! These nachos broke that streak of “small nachos at a large-sized cost”. As such, these are definitely great value nachos with enough for sharing with friends (more than three hungry friends) & family. Cost was $25 ($18 nachos+ $7 salmon). Chicken would have added $5, but Nachos Libra splurged for salmon – a healthy heart alternative.
- These nachos were eaten 26 June 2016.
- 3oz of pulled pork was unflavoured, but there was a strong tasting BBQ sauce that was drizzled over the entire nachos platter. Cheese was layered throughout, and like the pulled pork, there did not seem to be a lot of cheese. Many a chip went unadorned with cheese. 🙁
- When the nachos arrived, there were zero vegetables except for a few banana peppers. 🙁 Vegetables were requested after the Nachos Landing. Small portions of both fresh diced tomatoes & green onion were delivered later at no charge. The menu does not mention any vegetables, so Nachos Libra reader beware!
- Sauces were on the side, so no soggy nacho chips! 🙂 Guacamole is extra, so it was declined. Sour cream was substituted for extra salsa. The salsa came poured from a plastic jug, whose expiry date was probably 19 Oct 2036. 🙁 Nachos Libra is always going on about how fresh, made-in-house sauces are vastly superior to factory-made sauces. Sauce portions are on the small size as the salsa was gone by the time half of the nachos were eaten.
- Nachos Libra loves a tortilla shell bottom! For with a minimal rolling effort, the leftovers are quickly rolled up. However, there was nothing left to roll up (see next bullet point) with the Black Bear nachos. Tortilla shell lined nachos are available at the Coppertank Grill in Vancouver West Side, Fountainhead Pub in Downtown Vancouver, Raglan’s, Rusty Gull & Sailor Hagar’s. The latter three are in Lower Lonsdale.
- With the cost of these nachos, one could reasonably expect fresh made-in-house salsa, copious vegetables, more meat & cheese. As well, the nachos serving is slightly under 3/4 of a full-sized order, but carries with it the full-sized price. Nachos Libra ate this entire platter in one sitting … solo. Nachos Libra rated the nachos at two & half chips, but rounded up. These Black Bear Pub nachos were not good value.
- This full order of nachos was eaten 08 Feb 2016.
- Less than half sized Nachos, no proteins ordered. A note on protein, Brown’s Social House Lonsdale used to offer halibut as a side. However, the British Columbian bottom feeder was taken off the menu at the time of this visit. Orange and white cheese was on the light side.
- Vegetables were okay in portion, which means not every chip gets a diced vegetable. There is just enough for a very good presentation. However, there are zero black olives or tomatoes. Sliced green onions create their own height-building, pick-up-sticks style construction. Jalapenos’ hotness is countered with sweet, diced red bell peppers.
- Salsa has a very good taste, being made in-house and spicey. The salsa sauce is a decent portion & lasted until 1/2 of the chips were left, minutes before Nachos Libra inhaled the whole platterette. Guacamole lasted a dozen chips and never stood a chance in front of Nachos Libra; fresh, made in-house with beautiful, bright green, fleshy lumps of avocado.
- Overall size of Browns’ half order of nachos is what Nachos Libra deems to be a “personal” size order. Definitely not for sharing. Only in extremely rare incidences will there be a complete inability to consume all of this in one sitting, such as ordering nachos for a dessert replacement after eating a salad and a full-sized entree. Brown’s corporate has presentation on all its products mastered & educated their kitchen staff in the artful ways achieving this ideal.
- This personal sized, half-order nachos was eaten on 15 August 2015.
- Crumbled chicken, 3.5 oz, was sprinkled on the nachos. Cheese was melted onto the topmost layer, but lacking throughout the nachos.
- A scattering of fresh, sliced green onions & diced tomatoes. Jalapeños were declined upon request. There were no olives or other vegetables.
- Sauces were served on the side without having to ask 🙂 The salsa was poured from a plastic jug & that’s all there is to comment about it. Guacamole was extra & not ordered.
- Presentation of the nachos was flat, small & lacking in colour.
- This $21 nacho platter was no more than a 1/2 order of nachos & not good value at all. Nachos Libra’s dining guest noted that nachos are a rather inconsistent menu item. Nachos Libra wonders how another Jennings pub on the North Shore could score a five chip rating & the Narrows nachos manages such a poor rating.
- These nachos were eaten 21 March 2016.
Rusty Gull Nachos moved to Lower Lonsdale Nachos.
Please bookmark & check back. I’m eating as fast as I can!
I’m a Libra who loves nachos. I wasn’t always so obsessed. Nachos were plentiful & on most every menu. Just another pub grub option ordered so all could share.
Then I moved to Dublin, Republic of Ireland. The Irish don’t eat when they drink. “Eatin’s cheatin!” my Irish friends would intersperse amongst the witty, tavern conversation.
Well, I have to eat! I’m Chinese! So, I thought that if I ordered a platter to share, would it be more acceptable?
And then, nothing! No matter the menu, nachos were not on it. I began to compulsively search for pubs with nachos even when I wasn’t hungry. Slowly, incrementally, I displayed severe withdrawal symptoms. I began day-dreaming of those “corn-based” nachos back in Vancouver, Canada.
Finally, I’m back. I’ve been back for a while. And, at least once a week, I have a hankering for nachos that needs satisfying. Now I manage my obsession by tasting & sharing with you, my dear fellow tavern mates!
Older Nachos Reviews Below
- Braised beef (off menu) was ordered. The nachos’ toppings hid gems of meat that were all over the nachos! The slow-cooked beef had an excellent taste … not too sweet either. Cheese, meat & vegetables covered every chip! Wahoo! 🙂
- Large portions of vegetables included sweet red, yellow & green bell peppers, which exceeded the usual “one pepper maybe, but not all three” nacho dogma. Chunky-diced, fresh tomatoes & diagonal-cut green onions, as well as black olives added flavour, where the Jalapeños brought some bite.
- Sauces are served on the side without having to ask, yes! Dispensing with the sour cream did not result in a doubling up of the fresh, made-in-house salsa, even when requested. The tasty, but small, salsa portion was finished when a third of the nachos were eaten. On second visit, there was a double-portion of Salsa that lasted until the last chip! 🙂
- The presentation was, “Wow! Look at that height (that never fell over) and all those fresh ingredients!” Every single, tri-coloured chip had either melted cheese, amazing meat or colourful vegetables! 🙂 The beef nachos were 3/4 the size of a full sized & cost $22 ($17 plus $5 for braised beef). The fuller sized, bacon (off-menu too!) nachos were $19 ($17 plus $2 for bacon).
- Braised beef nachos were eaten 17 July 2016 and the bacon nachos were on another visit on 01 August 2016. 🙂 See below for bacon nachos, Yummm.
- A third visit, on 20 November 2016, lowered the Hurricane Grill’s nachos’ rating from five to four chips. Way less braised beef, 25% of the chips were broken & a minimum of everything brought these previously fantastic nachos down to three & a half chips (rounding up gives a four). 🙁
- Hurricane Grill North Vancouver ceased doing business on 30 July 2017.
- A big serving of pulled pork. 🙂 Copious amounts of cheese on top & in the middle layers. The plate’s bottom had no grease from the cheese. Nice!
- Fresh diced tomatoes & purple onions, sliced green onions & black olives and banana peppers. A generous portion of vegetables!
- Sauces. Guacamole was extra & thus declined. Sour cream was substituted for extra salsa; the double portion endured right up to the last chip. 🙂
- Bright red salsa & tri-colored chips, arrayed for height as well as breadth, covered in goodies created a superb presentation. Of note was a small air pocket in the middle layer, where one could look from one side of the nachos to the other.
- These nachos were eaten 20 April 2016. Nachos Libra returned 18 Jan 2017 & the nachos had more chips & more cheese! Jack Lonsdale’s nachos’ four chip rating remains! 🙂
- A visit on 09 April 2017 resulted in an upgrade to five chips from four! Jack Lonsdales has a $9 share plate special on Sundays, which includes the full sized nachos. Extreme value at $12.50 ($9 + $3.50) with pulled pork, lots of cheese, tons of veg, bowls of salsa & the height of those mounded up chips! 😀
To ensure 09 April was not a “one off” deal, Nachos libra re-visited 16 April 2017. Result? Extreme value & a five chip rating. 🙂 🙂 🙂
- Ordered chicken, but the server brought a veggie version instead. Twenty minutes later, the server delivered the grilled chicken & said it was free of charge. By then, Nachos Libra destroyed the nachos platter & could not fit in any chicken, so it was sent back. The chicken was still on the bill when it came time to settle the bill, but that was rectified without protest. Cheese was satisfactory.
- Jack Lonsdales could go a bit more generous on the vegetable portions. It would not take much more to make this writer happy. The nice touch was the banana peppers. Banana peppers do not upset Nacho Libra’s delicate constitution the way that Jalapenos messes with said system.
- Salsa sauce portions are bang on! The chunky salsa outlasted the nachos platter. However, this is only because plain sour cream was traded for an extra salsa side dish. Guacamole is an extra cost, so it was never ordered.
- Presentation of the nachos is very good & colourful. Of note is some grease at the bottom of the plate. One can always take their thumb, swipe it across the platter and lick it off the thumb.
- Jack Lonsdales’ nachos platter is more filling if a protein is also ordered. Nachos Libra would never want to see anyone become hungry less than 90 minutes after chowing down an entire, full-sized platter of nachos. 🙂
- Only one nachos size available … for sharing. Eaten on 14 July 2015.
- Salmon added on for extra cost. A good portion! Cheese portions covers almost every chip on top, but wasn’t distributed throughout the layers of nachos.
- Plenty of vegetables, sliced, black olives and fresh, diced tomatoes, sweet, purple onion and green onions.
- Includes a paste of refried beans! Salsa & guacamole seemed to be poured from a plastic jug. The salsa had some small pieces in it. The guacamole was smooth with no discernible avocado. Nachos Libra ate all the chips & there was still left over salsa & guacamole, so sauces come in big portions.
- These nachos had a good height. A pretty good, Wow! presentation & getting “lots for a little”. This is the kind of stuff that draws Nachos Libra back for more!
- Toby’s half order is actually a full-sized nachos hiding behind a half-sized price!
- This half-order nachos was eaten on 08 July 2015.
© 2015 Nachos Libra. All rights reserved; no part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying or otherwise, without prior permission.