Nachos Libra, Harrison Hot Springs Nachos
Harrison Hot Springs is a tiny resort community with a population of about 1,600. It’s about a couple of hours east of Vancouver & sits on the southern end of Harrison Lake. The location is renowned for it’s natural, hot springs that potentially harbours healing properties. As such and thankfully, HHS attracts tons of tourists, which means a high, per-capita number of restaurants with nachos!
- Crumbled beef was extra cost & there was plenty in this platter. The beef was neither salty or overly spiced, yet still retained a hearty flavour. Good cheese supply throughout.
- Vegetables were sparse. The black olives & fresh, diced tomatoes and green onions were mostly there to add some colour & variety.
- Salsa & guacamole sauces were “poured from a plastic jug”. They didn’t seem to be made in-house from fresh ingredients. Sauces were bland & the small portions were in plastic containers that have matching snap-on lids. Nachos Libra speculates that this is due to tourists taking the left-overs back up to their rooms.
- The nachos were rather “flat” in presentation, most likely due to the weight of the cheeses & beef.
- Harrison Hot Springs Resort Hotel, Island Bar’s nachos are about $2 more than what Nachos Libra would find in the village of Harrison Hot Springs.
- This full-order nachos was eaten on 26 July 2015.
- “Nacho” chicken was ordered as an addition, but there was very little of it & no taste. What is so special about “nacho” chicken? Let’s see, pre-processed chicken (the kind found in a chicken McNugget) with no flavouring & no more than 3 oz. The cheese did a good job of adding protein to these nachos as there was enough to weigh down the nachos chips into a low, flat profile.
- Vegetables were a few token pieces of black olive, Jalapenos that had zero bite & fresh, diced tomatoes.
- Salsa was made in-house & supplanted the nachos platter’s vegetable deficit by adding black beans & corn. The visual presentation of the salsa is appealing! Plus, the salsa lasted until the end of the platter & there was plenty of it! Guacamole was extra, so it was not ordered. Sauces are served on the side without having to make that request.
- The nachos’ presentation imparted a “This isn’t a lot to share!” train of thought. The low “hill” of chips, heavy with cheese, with the wide serving wicker plate further re-enforced how little there appeared to be.
- A note about the chips‘ quality; below average that approached being stale. The chips are the type one finds in the bulk food aisle of a grocery store. Nachos Libra’s fellow diner stated that he had eaten the same nachos the previous Sunday & those “crunchy treats” had been fresh, crispy & abundant! What Nachos Libra received that late, Wednesday afternoon was the “We ran out of the good chips from all the sales on the weekend – so you’ll have to suck it up & eat these bulk food bin, atrocities – however, we have taken the liberty of charging you the same … perhaps a bit more because we’re still hung-over from the weekend.” variety of chips.
- The chicken portion is so small, so useless, that it is not worth the extra $5 expense. Put that $5 towards a lager or ale. Old Settler’s Pub nachos are not good value.
- This full order nachos was eaten on 16 September 2015.
Please bookmark & check back. I’m eating as fast as I can!
I’m a Libra who loves nachos. I wasn’t always so obsessed. Nachos were plentiful & on most every menu. Just another pub grub option ordered so all could share.
Then I moved to Dublin, Republic of Ireland. The Irish don’t eat when they drink. “Eatin’s cheatin!” my Irish friends would intersperse amongst the witty, tavern conversation.
Well, I have to eat! I’m Chinese! So, I thought that if I ordered a platter to share, would it be more acceptable?
And then, nothing! No matter the menu, nachos were not on it. I began to compulsively search for pubs with nachos even when I wasn’t hungry. Slowly, incrementally, I displayed severe withdrawal symptoms. I began day-dreaming of those “corn-based” nachos back in Vancouver, Canada.
Finally, I’m back. I’ve been back for a while. And, at least once a week, I have a hankering for nachos that needs satisfying. Now I manage my obsession by tasting & sharing with you, my dear fellow tavern mates!
© 2015 Nachos Libra. All rights reserved; no part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying or otherwise, without prior permission.