Nachos Libra, Downtown Vancouver Nachos
Vancouver is a seaport & a world class city on the west coast of Canada. Downtown Vancouver is the most densely populated city in Canada. This means lots & lots of Nachos! Downtown Vancouver Nachos is considered to be the entire peninsula including Coal Harbour, Yaletown, Gastown, Japantown, Chinatown, the West End & the Financial District.
- One size only 🙂 Yaay! Full size nachos were ordered with an off-menu, 6 oz. of dry-style, pulled pork. Cheese was found throughout, including toasted pieces on the parchment paper. 🙂
- A good amount of vegetables, especially when Jalapeños were held in favour of more fresh, diced tomatoes. A small handful of green onion & some black/brown olives finished off the nachos’ looks.
- Sauces are served on the side! Sour cream was passed for an extra salsa serving (at no charge). The fresh, made in-house salsa was plentiful, chunky & mild with diced, purple onion for extra flavour … another amicable touch 🙂
- The Steamworks Brewpubs’ nachos are good value considering its size, generous portions, along with its pricey Downtown Vancouver location! The cost was $23 ($18 nachos + $5 for pulled pork).
- There is another Steamworks in Burnaby. It is a tap room & microbrewery that does not serve these nachos.
- These nachos were eaten 28 Jan 2017. Nachos Libra will return 🙂
- Braised beef ribs were $3 extra, was a generous portion & tasty. Nachos Libra prefers that meat not be smothered in sauce; beef ribs beats pulled pork / BBQ sauce most days. Cheese was layered throughout & covered most of the chips. Luv!
- Cherry tomatoes, fresh & sliced in half, was an original touch & lent a subtle sweetness. The vegetable accompaniment was fresh sliced green onion & fresh Jalapeños! Yaay! Nachos Libra has an affinity for fresh Jalapeños as they digest without burning one up from the inside & outwards.
- Sauces are always served on the side! Double-Yaay! Sour cream was replaced with extra salsa. The salsa was fresh, made in house & tasty without being tangy. Yum! The salsa lasted until there were only fifteen chips left. Guacamole was extra & hence, not ordered.
- Chips stayed crispy right to the end 🙂 However, Nachos Libra wondered why Rogues’ nachos was served on an aluminum platter. Nachos Libra believes aluminum is to North American society what lead (Pb) was to the ancient Romans & the craziness that culture allowed, for example, Nero watched Rome burn, while merrily playing a fiddle.
- Great value. The cost, the portions, the fresh vegetables & made in house salsa earned the Rogue nachos a solid, five chips.
- These nachos were eaten on 19 Nov 2015. Nachos Libra will be back.
- These nachos were ordered with spicy beef. Dry crumbly bits, mildly spiced with some saltiness, there was enough to spread delicately around the nachos.
- Cheese leaned toward the meager side. However, it was distributed throughout the middle layers & perfectly toasted. Such an amazing smell too! Yum! Three extra ounces of both meat & cheese would have split Nachos Libra’s face with a grin that approached charming. However, the portion control masters in the kitchen did not want that to see that happen. 🙂
- Vegetables included fresh, diced tomatoes & sliced green onions. Again, these nachos would have created more excitement with only a bigger handful of each if only to match the copious amount of black olives. Jalapenos were omitted upon request.
- Nachos Libra passed on the sour cream to double-up on the salsa. Okay, Nachos Libra’s face inadvertently beamed as the sauces came in nacho chip bowls! Although the salsa was lumpy, it did not seem fresh & was likely poured from a plastic jug that had a “supplied by GFS” label on it. The guacamole was made in-house & was exposed to air too long as it had some brown where it would have been more palatable to see bright green. Maybe adding more lemon juice would have kept the guacamole garden-fresh? The bean dip was smooth with a “stick to the roof of your mouth” texture. Unfortunately, the flavour was tuned down a few too many notches for the tongue to enjoy. Please do not misunderstand, Nachos Libra finished all of the sauces (except the extra salsa) including the nacho bowls that held the sauces!
- Although the heaps of chips brought height to these nachos, it sets them up to present as though there’s not enough meat or cheese.
- The tortilla base is fantastic for catching cheese and grease & an indispensable tool when rolled up into a burrito with leftover sauces, chips, spilled cheese & vegetables. The Tank on Vancouver’s Westside, Raglan’s Bistro, Rusty Gull & Sailor Hagar’s in Lower Lonsdale & Black Bear Pub in North Vancouver are the only other places known to base their nachos on an edible liner. Fountainhead, Tank, Rusty Gull, Raglans’, Sailor Hagars’ & Black Bears’ nachos are de rigueur & demonstrate the mantra, “Leave nothing behind”!
- This full-order nachos was eaten on 31 August 2015.
Please bookmark & check back. I’m eating as fast as I can!
I’m a Libra who loves nachos. I wasn’t always so obsessed. Nachos were plentiful & on most every menu. Just another pub grub option ordered so all could share.
Then I moved to Dublin, Republic of Ireland. The Irish don’t eat when they drink. “Eatin’s cheatin!” my Irish friends would intersperse amongst the witty, tavern conversation.
Well, I have to eat! I’m Chinese! So, I thought that if I ordered a platter to share, would it be more acceptable?
And then, nothing! No matter the menu, nachos were not on it. I began to compulsively search for pubs with nachos even when I wasn’t hungry. Slowly, incrementally, I displayed severe withdrawal symptoms. I began day-dreaming of those “corn-based” nachos back in Vancouver, Canada.
Finally, I’m back. I’ve been back for a while. And, at least once a week, I have a hankering for nachos that needs satisfying. Now I manage my obsession by tasting & sharing with you, my dear fellow tavern mates!
© 2015 Nachos Libra. All rights reserved; no part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying or otherwise, without prior permission.